[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Gnfnr.dk • Vis emne - 1993-04-16 Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC

1993-04-16 Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC

Redaktører: Democracyrose, Michael

1993-04-16 Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC

Indlægaf Michael » 7. mar 2011, 22:37

Billede
Michael
Administrator

Geografisk sted: Næstved

Re: 1993-04-16 Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC

Indlægaf Michael » 7. mar 2011, 22:42

Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC, April 16th 1993 Preview

When Analyzing Axl, Everything is Relative
- Greensboro News & Record, 4.16.93

Guns N' Roses is a whole new rock animal, says drummer Matt Sorum, and its lead singer, Axl Rose, is a changed man.

Guns N' Roses fans may find it comforting to know they weren't alone in waiting until well after midnight for the band to start it's now- infamous concert at the Nutter Center on Jan. 13, 1992.

“That's what we do, man. We sit around and wait, just like everybody else.”

The tempermental Rose was having personal problems, Sorum says, describing the scene backstage as “a... nightmare.” The concert's late start made national news, including coverage in “USA Today” and “Rolling Stone” magazine.

“What happens with Axl is, if he doesn't feel good about playing the gig, he just doesn't... want to play,” Sorum says.

“It's a weird thing to make people wait, but it's almost as if he wants to put on the best show for the people. He'd rather not go out- that's the only way I can explain it. That's what used to go on with him.”

Not anymore. The Guns N' Roses on the fourth leg of what Sorum calls “the tour that wouldn't die” is a drastically different rock 'n' roll animal. The band has jettisoned its horn section and backing singers for its back to basics “Skin N' Bones” tour, and Rose is running “maybe a half hour late,” according to the drummer.

The size of GN'R's show had grown steadily since the group hit the road in May 1991, reaching massive proportions by last summer, when the band co- headlined 50,000- to 100,000- seat stadiums with Metallica. The elaborate production “worked out for the big shows, 'cause it just made it a little bigger, more like what the (Rolling) Stones would have done,” Sorum says. The auxiliary musicians “filled up a lot of the music, and if you're playing in that big of a situation, you want it to sound a little plusher.

“I don't want to use the word 'plush,' because that doesn't go very good with Guns N' Roses,” he amends, laughing. “A little bit more like the record is what we were trying for, and I think that happened. I think the band sounded better.”

GN'R has since scaled its staging down to a backline of amplifiers, and is retooling its set list to emphasize harder rocking material from “GN'R Lies,” “Appetite for Destruction” and the “Use Your Illusion” albums.

“We just felt that it was time to come back to just being a rock 'n' roll band,” Sorum say.

Sorum, who replaced original drummer Steven Adler in 1990, also needed to come back down to Earth after nearly two years on the road with rock's most notorious band. “It was like such a wild ride there for a while,” he says. “I was actually getting a little bit... out there, you know what I mean? Carried away in a few rock 'n' roll excesses, but nothing like what Steven was into.” (Adler was fired from the band because of a persistent heroin problem.)

The drummer has hired a personal trainer to accompany him on the road, and is trying to approach touring “more like real life, like if you were at home. For almost tow years on the road, I didn't do anything but go out at night, and then... stay in my hotel room all day.” He says the change in lifestyle is physically healthier and mentally more fulfilling.

“The same thing with Axl,” Sorum adds. “I think I can speak for Axl on how he's feeling about everything. I think he's a totally changed person.”

Rose's turnaround came thanks to intensive therapy sessions, and his relationship with model Stephanie Seymour.

“Now he's into playing, and everything's pretty cool.”

But the volatile singer still has his bad days, Sorum says “because a lot of stuff goes on with him... just basically being Axl Rose.

“I don't know if I'd want to be him, to be honest with you. You'd have to think about that yourself: 'Would I want to be Axl Rose?' Yeah, millions of people would, but then you'd have to be in his shows for a little while to see what it's actually like.

“I think he really enjoys being in a big band and all that, being a big rock star or whatever, but there's times when he doesn't, and that's the times when he just doesn't want to... do anything.

“It's real interesting,” Sorum says. “After being in the band for almost three years now, I can understand the guy. For a while there I just couldn't, and neither could millions of people.”

WANT TO GO?
Guns N' Roses, Brian May Band
Where: Dean E. Smith Center in Chapel Hill.
When: 8 p.m. today.
Tickets: $22.50. Upper- level seats remain at press time.
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Geografisk sted: Næstved

Re: 1993-04-16 Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC

Indlægaf Michael » 7. mar 2011, 22:44

Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC, April 16th 1993 Reviews

Guns N' Roses Cleans Up Its Act
- Greensboro News & Record, 4.18.93

Guns N' Roses showed Friday that toning down obscene lyrics hasn't drained the group of its musical power.

Nobody's likely to confuse Guns N' Roses with Wilson Phillips, but when the Hollywood rockers were introduced as “the feelgood band of the 90's” at the Smith Center in Chapel Hill Friday night, it wasn't altogether a joke.

That's because Guns N' Roses no longer has a chip on its collective shoulder the size of a tour bus. In 1993, Axl Rose's band has toned down the venom considerably, losing little of its musical power but dumping Rose's obscenity- saturated rants against everything from fellow metal band Warrant to the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Before the kinder and gentler GN'R took the stage, the 12,000 or so people gathered in the Smith Center got to hear a set from Rose's childhood buddy, Shannon Hoon, and his band, Blind Melon. It's a good thing Blind Melon- which was based in Durham for awhile- has friends in high places, because its set consisted of self- absorbed tedium from Hoon and meandering, interminable strings of notes and verses not resembling anything you might call songs.

Much more popular was the entertainment between bands, when the video cameras for the GN'R set were trained on members of the crowd. Numerous scantily clad women bared their breasts for projection on the big screen.

Additional images of adult sexuality came courtesy of GN'R, which had three nearly naked women deliver drinks to the band during an “unplugged” portion of the concert. If parts of the concert reduced women to the sum of certain body parts, however, GN'R wisely avoided the woman- bashing songs that occupy too much space on its “Use Your Illusion” albums.

If GN'R lacked the raw power and endurance it showed in an unforgettable marathon concert at the Greensboro Coliseum in 1991, Rose still performed in a T-shirt that bore the face of cult- leading hippie murderer Charlie Manson on the front and the words “Charlie Don't Surf” on the back. Rose has always been out to shock, and songs like “It's So Easy,” “Mr. Brownstone,” “Double Talkin' Jive,” and “You Could be Mine” sounded as fierce as ever.

The band played with the fire that earned it its reputation, and the loss of rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin was barely noticeable. The only weak link Friday night was lead guitarist Slash, who is at least as important to GN'R as Rose himself. Slash- whose substance abuse is the stuff of legend- seemed distracted and unfocused Friday night, not touching the emotional fury he brought to the '91 Greensboro show.

In 1991, GN'R was a band with something to prove, headlining for the first time, touring after a four- year wait between complete albums, and previewing two new double- length albums. In 1993, GN'R was just a band with something to do. If Friday night's show wasn't an unforgettable concert, it was still a great one.

Chip Browder's Review [posted 4.18.93]

The Chapel Hill show was pretty incredible. I've never heard a louder crowd in my life. I can't imagine seeing a better show (and I'm glad I got to see that one... I don't think I was the only one who was afraid the show was over just after the first song [It's So Easy] when Axl jumped into the the crowd... presumably to kick the $@*! out of someone).

I wish I'd seen the show in Roanoke(Va.) too. It would have been well worth it.

Matt's drum solo ruled!

No, they didn't play Civil War. And I'm sure it's not perfect, but here is the list of songs they played in order. If anyone sees a mistake, please feel free to correct me.

1) It's So Easy
2) Mr. Brownstone
3) Live And Let Die
4) Double Talkin' Jive
5) Yesterdays
6) Attitude
7) Welcome to the Jungle
8) The Garden
9) You're Crazy (Acc.)
10) Used to Love Her
11) Patience
12) November Rain